Thread: confused!
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 05:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default confused!

OK I'm very confused.

3 months ago I got a concussion. I hit my head pretty damn hard on tarmac but remained conscious and was confused and disorientated for about 15 minutes before everything pretty much fell back into place.

Next 2 days I felt dreamy and slowed down and had a bad headache- normal fair and I'd expected it. Then the headache disappeared and the anxiety started, badly and went on for a couple of weeks during which time I descended into a state of quite severe depersonalization and derealisation and was stressed out of my head so I moved home to stay with my parents and recover.

I looked up on the net to see what might be wrong with me and found out about PCS so presumed I had that. Spoke to my doctor who told me that I'd had an acute stress reaction to the concussion and that was slowing my recovery and I'd be fine soon and that he was doubtful it was PCS. I was really hoping he was right and I did start to feel a bit better. But I was still a mess and now 2 months later I'm still suffering.

I can't really put my finger exactly on what's wrong with me though. I haven't suffered with headaches for about 7 weeks, no dizziness, no loss of coordination, no nausea, no visual problems, no mood swings.

But I feel wrong, like there's something missing. Like it's too quiet in my head. I am definitely still experiencing mild depersonalisation as I feel little sense of self and the world seems odd and distant. My concentration is poor (memory ok though), multi-tasking -forget it, I'm definitely mentally slower and I have disturbed sleep and a low pitch gushing tinnitus. I get very depressed about the state I'm in and sometimes feel hopeless about my recovery. All sounds like PCS but pretty much all of my symptoms are shared by sufferers of depersonalisation disorder which can occur after a traumatic event (but also after a 'non-traumatic' concussion). To make things more confusing my brother suffered the exact same symptoms (except the tinnitus) purely through anxiety.

I saw a neurologist last week who said that he thought my symptoms were to do with my psychological state rather than any neurological problem caused by the concussion and I'd love to believe him but something instinctively tells me that I'm just still concussed and that I'm gonna be like this til that's resolved.

I guess there isn't really a sure answer to this. All I know is that I wouldn't be like this had I not hit my head, so I wonder if the concussion was a trigger or remains an underlying cause. I'm not asking you guys what you think, just venting some thoughts really. I'm gonna seek out some more professional opinions cos I want to make sure I don't do anything to prolong my recovery.
benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (06-12-2008)