Thread: New Title
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Thank you all for your concern.

I actually just came back from PT--today was TENS, ultrasound, and a lot of stretching. Acupuncture is scheduled for Friday.

Jo55, you're right--one of the first things I thought of was that I had created a thoracic outlet syndrome situation, in that I had overdeveloped muscles in the area at the expense of others and the sudden, traumatic "rip" had compressed that area. The physiatrist doesn't think it would be labelled such, based on the mobility and provocation tests--he did a lot of the tests outlined in the websites, and the neuro symptoms are only sensory and seem to concentrate on one branch of the medial nerve. But given my neurological history, and the fact that once a person has one neurological syndrome, s/he becomes vulnerable to many others, especially compressive ones, I'm being very cautious about my movements now. (I'm doing most of the stretches shown on the websites, and only the lightest weightlifting--3 pounds! I previously could twirl those on my fingertips--with fewer reps and some motions banned absolutely. Of course, I feel hilariously unfit. I've actually LOST a few pounds since this started. Has to be muscle weight.)

Given the location of some of the tightness, brachial plexus neruopraxia (nerve stretching) is also a distinct possibility. Conservative treatment seems to be the way to go, as I have no motor symptoms and full strength in the forearm, hand, and biceps. Where my strength is still lacking is in the trapezius/rhomboid region (I can really feel this when I'm flat on my back and I try to do a press), presumably where the muscles were torn. (Let's hope I don't need surgery.)

I am improved from two weeks ago, but I seem to have plateaued for now, at least neurologically, with symptoms still in the thumb/forefinger and the webbing and back of the right hand. Fortunately, symptoms have retreated from the wrist area. I may just be in for a long healing.

Mrs. D, I'm hitting the C and SAMe with my usual vigor--I didn't know about the ginger, though. Excuse to eat more Chinese take-out, LOL. Since this started, I've only taken about a total of 18 ibuoprofen; it wasn't doing anything in the early stages, anyway, and the pain calmed down enough that I rejected anything that would have required a prescription. I was/is teaching/tutoring a full schedule, and needed what faculties I have (though many of my students were amused by the interesting positions I had to sit/stand in for a while, and my driving position resembled that of a recumbent biker's more than anything else).

What I'd REALLY like to get--and I'll call Liza Jane for this if needed--is a good, long myofascial manipulation; where I'm now being treated they'll do it for a few minutes as part of a therapy session but it's not a thirty-minute going-over intended to place the tissues back where they should be. Also considering a neurological chiropractic consult (might run into Alan); I'm thinking I really need someone at this point who'll understand the future neurological implications of biomechanical dysfunction in one such as myself.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote