View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksAngel View Post
erin ... has the danger passed ??? sorry to hear about the boy scout camp .... is everyone ok at your house???
No damage at my house that I know of.

My neighbor across the street tho, has a ton of water damage. Her basement has been flooding since this couple weeks long round of storms started. She had her basement waterproofed yesterday.

Well, it might be waterproofed, but somehow they broke her sump pump yesterday when they waterproofed. Her basement was filling with water all evening. My aunt, who lives next door to her, is over there bailing water, and they got someone out there to replace the sump pump.

The neighbor has been having so many problems, and the guy on the other side of her has been having flooding too. Their problems started last year when we had 7 inches of rain in early May.

The guy finally went out and bought carpet tiles, so that if the basement started to fill up, he could just pick up the tiles and put them in the driveway to dry off in the sun. He had his basement waterproofed today. I hope the cement had time to dry. But, judging from what I saw thru his front door windows, I doubt it. Looks like they might have had water problems too.

I think there's about to be some lawsuits in our neighborhood against the builder. He FUBAR-ed things when they didnt grade the backyards of the houses across the street correctly. (houses at the bottom of the hill, big steep hill that makes the water run down to the backs of the houses and lets water into the basements.

Oh, the kids in the Boys Scout camp that were injured/killed. They didnt have any storm shelters to get to, and some of them were on a hike that was possibly 5 miles from the camp. One of the local stations said there could be MORE than 4 kids killed. (I hope not!) and a bunch of the kids are seriously injured. They mentioned spinal injuries and severe head injuries.

The local police in the area had to call in the Iowa National Guard and a couple of counties worth of road crews to come and cut their way thru downed trees to get up to the camp. Took them awhile to get to the kids. They think they've found them all now.

Just scary. When I was 13, my Camp Fire Girl group was at a camp (a girls scout camp, could have been the same one that got hit tonight, they shared the boys scouts place then) and we got caught in a storm on the last day. Were on an island in a lake when a storm hit. We decided to take the bridge (wire, 15 feet above a creek) back to the shore to get to the cars. Everyone got soaked, and freaked out!)

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote