View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 AM
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member
Heart

Thanks Aarcyn and Bobbi. Yep - it was Lori Piestewa. They made a big deal out of honoring her back then, but I heard people are pushing to change it back to "Squaw Peak."

It disturbs me there are only 1300 signatures nationwide. It tells me there are 1300 people in this country who understand how to respect another human being. Maybe I'm just impatient. Maybe I'm hoping for too much from people.

Maybe people don't think of consequences when they use/abuse another person for personal pleasure, entertainment and gain.

I'm so tired of the excuse that "it's tradition" or "it's harmless fun." Tell that to a young Indian woman trying to make her way back to her dorm after a game or if she has to pass a frat house after a party lets out. Is it good clean fun for all the boys, drunk and dressed up like Indians, to surround her and attempt to "marry" the maiden?

Or how about when an Indian man is approached by pumped up Redskins fans after a game who decide to chase him through the streets threatening to scalp him. Is it FUN to watch him run?

My heart broke when I watched the coverage of the tornado tragedy in Iowa involving Boy Scouts. My heart goes out to their families. My nephew is an eagle scout. Still, I couldn't help but shake my head at reality. If it had actually been four "Little Sioux" boys who had lost their lives, no one would have cared. It wouldn't even have been news - it would have been "entertainment." Instead of sorrow, people would have made jokes and danced around with feathers in their caps.

Just needed to vent about this.