Thread: How's fishing?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 07:19 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterMyNap View Post
Commercial regs should be separate from sport/individual leisure regs.
That brings up a good point! The recreational regs are different from Commercial fishing, at least they are here. But look what happened last year, the commercial (we call them "draggers") regs are by the pound (ton) not by size, so they can keep everything up to a certin weight. The "draggers" drag a net behind the boat catching everything! Last year some draggers were caught on video dumping there dead by-product over the side. This included short or undersizs fluke the we recreational fishermen are not allowed to keep. Well these fluke are not doing anyone any good now except maby for some sharks.

It's a shame, if a dragger can catch anything and everything, keep it all day until it dies, then discard anything that is "under market value" befor they head in to dock, then why is the DEC being so hard on the recreational guy's?

And many of those fish they throw away would be good table fair for people like me, not to mention that those fish will never grow & spawn. So how is it that the reg's are so hard on the recreational's when the commercial's are allowed to get away with this?

I say if the by-product is dead anyway they should be allowed to keep it and bring it back to the dock and either sell it at a discount or give it away at the dock for people who are in need. It would be good for poor people and it would make the commercials' look good in the press. I know I would be more then willing to go down to the dock's for some fish that would otherwise have been thrown to the sharks!

Don
<:{{{><
fishnbuddy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (06-14-2008)