View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I have to ask a question about the routers.

Last night we were all outside in front of my house. My former neighbor came over (he owns a computer company. He had his IPHONE (which impressed the heck out of me). I mean, you should see the video quality, and you can zoom in and everything. We watched you youtube videos on his IPOD. Alan was very impressed.

Then I told him what I learned about laptops (from these forums). He said "melody, why don't you get an air port"? After realizing that he was not telling me to by an actual air port, and I didn't want to seem clueless, I finally ascertained that his is a USB connection type of thing that you plug into a USB port on my tower, and it becomes a wireless router. He said 'it costs $79.00". I said 'now why would I buy something for $79.00 when I can buy a wireless router for $30??"

He said 'well, wireless routers can slow up your bandwith and internet speed" I said "really? will this affect the desktop, the laptop, or both".

And he said 'well, you never know, it CAN happen". "That's why I have an Air Port".

Then he whipped out his Apple notebood, that he paid $1900 for but re-sells them for $2400 and I said 'why is this thing worth $2400 and he said 'it's an Apple, and you get what you pay for".

Then he turned it on and it blew all of us away. Then he asked me (we were sitting on my front porch). He asked me "Melody, do you have Wi-Fi in your house?"

Now I took that to mean, "do I have a wireless router connected to my computer". and I said "no, I don't" and he said "then I can't access the internet from your porch, I would have to go into Dunkin or a place with Wi Fi.

I do KNOW WHAT HE MEANS BY THAT. I asked him "oh, you don't have a portable modem plugged into this laptop, and he said: "No, I don't need one, because everyplace I go to has Wi-Fi".

So, was I correct that I don't have Wi-Fi in my home??

And is he correct in his statement that a wireless router that would be connected to my tower, well, it might slow down my internet speed??

thanks to anyone who can answer.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote