View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Stretches

Hi Pixel,
I always found for myself too the stretches work great to stay lose, but do not take away a lot of symptoms.
There are a few reasons; one being the development of injured nerves leads to scar matter,, a second; inflamation of nerves means the muscles try to protect them causing spasms; and another, there can be body anomolies that just plane put stress points on. This is such as extra ribs, mis-shappen ribs, chest frame small making a tiniest of spaces for the nerves and vascular to pass through the outlet, or large bone structure making a tight squeeze. Then too there could be vascular or neuro bundles that travel through the WRONG PLACE. Our bodies are not always made perfect, neck scalense can have mis-threaded the entwork of the bundles, or our traps may not have a proper shape to the trapizius catching up brachial plexus bundles.

But, not everyone that ahs anomolies will have TOS, but be predisposed. So like a time bomb waiting for that one twist, one day too long at the computer, one reach to hang a curtain, or one more time to hang laundry etc until TOS flares is monsterous head.

But, as you have been aggressive in preventative measures, I am sure you know about the posture that contributes.I have rounding shoulders from the spasms that are my down fall. I try to keep my shoulders back. I was told about a can of soup in a nylon back pack to encoourage but not overwhelm the traps.

With TOS the loradosis, reverse curve to our neck will conteract with a hump by the C-7 vertabre causing a stress. So tehre is that beast to battle.

So along with streetches, it is not too much stretching, just passive, until you "feel" the pull, then stop the motion, more is not better, but you already know that from the protocol.
But, the traps have triggers so get a tennis ball and work the spots by rolling the ball between your traps and the wall, dig it in to massage. Hot bath, shower in the start of the day is great. I finally got them to reopen my hot tub and it is great. I have a schedule to keep up trigger points in the traps, and then have a great PT gal to work on the spasms.

While not symptoms free, I can be a lot more confortable. I keep down flares, BUT my biggest enemy is the chronic fatigue. I have to nap everyday. It is a full time job taking care of myslef not to flare, let alone take care of my family needs, especially my daughters' mega battle for over 12 1/2 years with TOs since she was 16 yrs old.

Some day, can you post the stretches that have helped you the most?
Glad to have your information you bring and welcome!
Dianne

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote