Thread: IVIG/Medicare
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Melody I suggest

That you check out your state and city medicare resources to 'plan' and be 'aware' of how benefits can and do change at that 'golden number'. I also suggest that you either read or re-read all the back issues of IGLiving and see what kinds of issues people who have 'approved' ON-label IVIG uses have had in not only getting but keeping merely ACCESS to infusions. Many are now finding [even in NYS] that their 'plans' including BC/BS are either putting a 'cap' [lifetime or yearly] on the $ amount one can receive or upping the copay to half the total cost of a monthly infusion. This is an issue you have to plan for? You mite want to read the IGLiving back issues to LEARN that this is a big problem for ANYONE receiveng infusions. The only alternative approved therapy for CIDP now is prednisones and some cortisones.

IVIG is an OFF-LABEL use for CIDP[according to the FDA], even tho there has been a recently completed NIH trial for one brand of IG that was successful. It does not constitute FDA approval for the IG. Thing is, IG use has been accepted 'practice' by medical professionals for over 25 years and is approved for use by many insurance companies...but once that calendar year page changes over? The RULES CHANGE! Why? The COSTS CHANGE! Someone else also pays that BILL! Things are NOT automatic, and you might continue any benefits only if you have an extra 'supplemental plan'. I do not know much about these things other than they exist. I believe my own plan will be more generous than most for reasons that I will NOT go into here...EVER. I do know tho, that once that year happens, and you continue? You can get 'rejected coverage' backdated to that magic date and you can believe that those bills are well, HEFTY?

I suggest that you get to work and do your homework. This preparation is needed to be done for both you and ALAN NOW at age 60 for when you become 'of age'. I wish you luck and that YOU can share your own wisdom in the learning with all of us. - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote