Old 06-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I believe this is a scam!!!

Hi All.

Need your input.

Today we got a letter from TD WATERHOUSE, Toronto Dominion Centre on King Street in Toronto Ontario.

With a phone number and everything.

It had a claim number

It said Final Notice

The letter said "We are pleased to advise you that you are one of the winners in the second category of a Lottery Draw held on Jan 29th, 2007.

They give the winning serial numbers.

Said we were entitled to $270,000.00 payble to us by bank draft, money order or certified check.

NOW THERE WAS A CHECK ENCLOSED IN THE AMOUNT OF $3,950.00. It said this money has been deducted from our winnings. (ISN'T THIS WONDERFUL??))

It then said "The purpose of this check is for the payment of the NonResident GovernmentService Tax (GST). the payment information is stated below:

TAX AGENT - TONY AYALA
TAX AMOUNT - $2,950.00 u.s. dollars
Payment Method : MONEYGRAM.

Then it said:

You are advised to contact your assigned claims agent Monday to Friday 8 - 4:30 p.m. Pacific Standard Time for further instructions on how you can claim your big winning.

This letter and claim number is of utmost important to claiming your Winnings in this lottery. Please keep it safe and confidential at all time. Please do not act on this notice until you speak to your agent.

Congratulations
Yours Truly

Terry Clement (Promotions Manager).

Now here's where it gets juicy!!! The top of the check says: INTERNATIONAL RELIEF & DEVELOPMENT, INC. 1621 North Kent Street 4th Fl. Arlington, VA 22209-2105

It's drawn on The National Capital Bank of WASHINGTON, Washington DC (no phone number),

It's paid to Alan's name and it's for $3,950.00

I looked this up on ripoffreport.com and I put in TD WATERHOUSE and a few things came up (under TED WATERHOUSE).

Same scam. You get a letter with a check. You call the number and someone tells you to deposit the check, but you have to write another check to some lady (for tax purposes), etc. etc. Some guy got fleeced for $5000.00

Alan got all excited. I had to sit on him to make him realize THAT NO ONE IS GIVING US ANY CHECK FOR $3,950.00 Notice the amount next to the words: TAX AMOUNT. The amount is $2,950.00. I think they make you pay that amount and then you say "oh well, I made 100 bucks". Then they give you more instructions, and before you know it, you wrote so many checks, you have nothing left in your checking account. Of course I know we didn't win any lottery for $270,000.00.

Would SOMEONE PLEASE BACK ME UP HERE.

Thanks much. Anyone else ever get these type of lottery scams?

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote