View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 03:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It is an outrage. I can't even think of things like the fact that there is plenty of supply, and therefore why these prices? Somebody is putting a lot of money in their pocket. I don't know who and I won't point any fingers but if you follow the money, something starts to really stink.

The environmental aspect is a different side. This is also very important to me - fossil fules should only be a short term source until a practical alternative is ready for mass implementation. This will require cooperation and support from the kindly folks in the industries that make our vehicles as well as their fuel. I have no doubt that a reasonable and practical solution would be readily adopted by folks at large. If it is too sparsely supported, and too expensive to service and maintain it will never work. As long as we have a government that is heavily subsidised by forces to whom the adoption of alternative energies would be detremental it will not work. Perhaps you see where I'm pointing the finger.

My wife is currently assigned to a client, not too far away, over the bridge in NJ. She must drive to reach their location. We bought a new car because our 12 year old Volvo was just nolonger worth trying to maintain. It served us well. Of course the gas mileage was important to us, but it was far more important to me that the car have enough power to get out of it's own way merging onto the NJ Turnpike and that it be robust enough to be safe. We settled on a Honda CR-V, while not the most fuel friendly vehicle, it was a great compromise between safety, power, and fuel efficiency.

Driving 250 miles per week at $4 per gallon you will save $40 per month for every additional 5 mpg you increase your mileage.

One of the biggest and easiest ways to improve your mileage is keeping your tires properly inflated. Keeping your air and oil filters new and fresh also help.

Drive with the windows UP and the AC off if you can stand it. Otherwise crack one window in the front and one window in the back slightly.

Drive gently and use the cruise control.

I did a little math:

50 miles per day, 5 days per week = 1000 miles / month

At 20 mpg, this is 50 gallons

At 25 mpg, this is 40 gallons

At 30 mpg, this is 30 gallons.

At $4 / gallon this is $200 or $160 or $120

So savings are from $40 to $80 per month depending on the mileage of the car give or take... Clearly Bizi has this mileage beat!

Oh - and the urban legends about buying gas in the morning, etc are completely false - at least very insignificant dealing with common volumes and temperature changes. The physics do not add up. (I did some math on that one too but I won't bore you with it here). If it were 20 below in the morning and 120 in the shade in the evening and you bought a few hundred gallons we might be talking about some serious dough... Gas is stored underground. The temperature does not change much.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (06-15-2008)