View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 04:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I saw the oral surgeon today - I don't know that I am truly any better off though to be honest. I was not really given specific answers, but I am hoping you may be able to further explain for me?

Firstly, he explained to me that my problem is complex, and has arisen from perhaps a mixture of trauma from the wisdom tooth extraction and the clenching since that time. There is notable asymmetry in my bite.
Secondly, he began to explain that flat spots have been created on the cartilage between the joints, which creates that rough, painful and loud movement and an inability to close smoothly, without some assistance from my hands manoevering the top jaw.

He told me that the only thing he can recommend is for me to rest my jaw as much as is physically possible. He spoke of a night guard, however thought that would not really benefit me, as he thinks that I simply need to undo my behaviour by myself (i.e. clenching)
However, he did recommend that I buy Mercyndol from the pharmacy as it has both relaxation and pain relief benefits.

So, I left and then started realising that I really don't know any more than when I went in, and I still dont really have a solution - except to continue to avoid things I have already began to avoid due to my pain - and hope that it sorts itself out in time... Is it likely that it could fix itself, being that this has been coming on for around 7 months?!

Should I be basically on a fairly liquid diet? (I have made a lot of wholesom home made soups to get through this!!!) Should I seek a second opinion? Will my bite ever realign by itself? (It is to the right by a whole tooth on close, and slips further upon opening) Or, should I just do as he suggests and wait it out a while and rest as much as possible and hope for the best?!
I am rather lost!
HayleyJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote