View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 11:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Arrow Read my post on doing Fantastic!!!

Hi Linda,
I watch my body now that its been nearly 2yrs post op. I know I will need surgery to remove my right cervical rib eventually as hand wasting is getting out of control. I continue to get cold or hot hands that change color. I just watch what I do now. I think excercise is wonderful when we feel better but if you are on narcotics which I just got off of you can do things to your body you dont realize you are hurting because the medicine numbs it.
I recently went through detox after 2yrs of being on narcotics only to realize my pain was not that bad. Actually near non existant except the numbness and tingling I still get with too much activity. With limitations I am functioning better than ever. Also the narcotics left me depressed, isolated and nearly destroyed my marriage. Im not saying everyone by any means needs to get off their drugs...everyone knows their bodies and what they need to survive this TOS YOU KNOW WHAT!!!!
But after 2yrs of hurting myself worse on medication being off of it I can listen to my body better and know what is causing my pain to come back and what dosnt. I believe this is a life long struggle and only knowing your body can you know what you need to do. I still get pain on the left side and some on the right but listening to my body and altering the things I do when I feel that inkling of pain prevents a full blown attack. I know not everyone has the luxury of stopping house cleaning or working so everyone must do what they do whether it means meds, chiro, stretching etc....Weights I was told by Annest and my other doctors are a no no....I started ballet and the weight fell off...I can excerise my arms in ballet with fluid movements and if it starts to hurt I stop.
Stopping the activity that causes the symptoms is the key I belive...just as if you had any kind of injury. Congrats on the 50th!!! and just do what you can. Walking on a treadmill was also key with me in getting back in shape after all my surgeries....the arms can wait. Household chores work those enough...at least in my case
Scar tissue is going to be a factor in all of us post op...It is created the instant they go in there but causing more is up to me. What I choose to do about that is wait...if its not bad I will not worry....Worry over this TOS LIFE NEARLY KILLED ME...dwelling on it nearly killed me....so I dont...I just as I said know my limitations and answer to them. If I can do it one day I will on another day I know I cant....I hope Ive helped....Amy
ginnybean32 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote