View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 12:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello GJZH

I agree with the book the Wendy suggested. It is the "fibromyalgia bible" for anyone with a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. The book is helpful as a tool to learn about fibro, learn how to treat it and live well despite it - and the book is also great at helping patients to discover whether their diagnosis of fibromyalgia is accurate or not.

Unfortunately, many doctors use the term "fibromyalgia" anytime they have a patient with muscle pain or anytime a patient has symptoms that can't be easily explained (especially if the patient is a woman).

Yes, fibro is a real diagnosis and a real problem - but because so many doctors have mis-used the term and because so many doctors use the diagnosis improperly - it is important for any patient who is diagnosed with fibromyalgia to do a bit of their own detective work to make sure the diagnosis is accurate.

Another thing to consider is the fact that fibromyalgia rarely just happens on it's own.... it usually occurs as a result of something else (car accident, autoimmune disease, spinal problem, etc...). I saw a statistic once that said that 90% of all fibromylagia is caused by something else - so it's important for you and your doctors to investigate to make sure you know what the "something else" is.

Many fibro patients get symptom relief from their fibro by treating the "something else"... so as you search out treatments and methods of relief, keep in mind that treating the "something else" (the primary condition, the probable cause of the fibro) is a big part of treating the fibro symptoms.

I hope that helps - if you have any questions just ask. This fibro forum seems slow sometimes, but that is often because all of us are aching and not typing - but when someone asks a question we all come out of the woodwork to type

The best advice I can give you though is to get the book that Wendy suggested. It's the best fibro book ever, and in my opinion it is the only fibro book that is accurate.

take care,
liz
Wittesea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote