In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Post Man with ALS opposes Washington state assisted suicide measure

Man with ALS opposes Washington state assisted suicide measure
Written by Mickey McLean
June 16, 2008 5 Comments

Supporters of the “Washington Death with Dignity Initiative” have raised $1 million and are using that windfall to try to get 225,000 valid voter signatures by July 3 to place the measure on the November ballot. One person who supporters of the initiative would probably think would benefit from its passing is opposing it. John Peyton has ALS and can’t do much on his own and can no longer speak. His doctor gives him only three to six months to live, and former Boeing computer programmer is using those last months to oppose the ballot measure that would allow physicians to assist terminally ill patients to end their lives. “What we’re really doing I believe, is attempting to eliminate the sufferer so we don’t have to deal with them,” Peyton said.

Former Washington Gov. Booth Gardner, who suffers from Parkinson’s disease, which is incurable but not fatal and would not qualify if the initiative comes law, has come out in support of the measure, but his son and some of his political allies are against it. “I love him, I want the best for him,” his son Doug Gardner said. “But don’t make it easier for these people who are in a weak state to have an opt-out option.”

http://www.worldontheweb.com:80/2008...icide-measure/

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote