View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 02:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

http://web.archive.org/web/*/braintalk.org

I hope that this link works. If not try putting in a search for "way back machine" -- and then from there try http://braintalk.org Hopefully one of these will put you through to some of the archives. What I picked up was only some of the threads from 2000-2004. If you go to "old" BT and do a search on "Archives" -- there are some smart members who have different instructions on how to get through to some links. I take no credit. lol.

Ok...back to the discussion at hand.

In my opinion, this doctor pushing you towards an SCS...his tactics SUCK! To put a person in pain in this position of stress like he has, is just awful. Enough said. I'm happy that you are hearing ALL sides to the story of SCS so that you can make an educated decision for what is right for YOU.

I have had many blocks and epidurals. Like maybe 6-9 probably on the average per year. I also had 2 five day continuous epidural which was done as an inpatient hospitalization. The 1st continuous epidural worked wonders on me giving me lasting relief. But the 2nd a couple of years later, I think, didn't work as perfectly. But I'm telling you just to have 5 days of relief and a month or so, is fine w/ me. Sometimes doctors don't understand what "relief" means!

Many members have posted that blocks/epidurals just don't work on them and this is quite normal for RSD'rs. Others like me, even though I've had RSD for almost 7 years SGB's (blocks) and epidurals (which hit both arms) still continue to provide me with wonderful lasting relief. My doctor gives blocks in a series. Meaning I receive them once a week and have at least 3 or 4 until my pain decreases. Having just one just doesn't work! Oh, and he doesn't put anybody to sleep. My procedure from the time my bed starts to roll to the time I'm back in recovery...7 minutes. You will find that how each Doctor administers blocks vary quite differently from patient to patient, state to state.

There are members who have had facet injections here. Hmm. Can't think who they are for the life of me.

If you want to take my opinion, I'd go for an injection as fast as possible. In your list of questions...? I'd make sure that your doctor does have the aid of a florescope! This is the fancy name for an x-ray machine. This way your doctor is not going in blind. Before I was transferred to my current doctor, I had about 6 blocks done w/o a florescope. Urgh. They were very difficult, long, and painful. The numbing medicine is the only pain I ever feel. He takes a picture first and administers the 1st shot of numbing med-hurts a little...then of course, the deeper shot hurts a little more. I use my LaMaze techniques of deep breathing and try not to ignore my lovely doctor talking to me about how I should quit smoking! This is his way of keeping me calm....he thinks he is funny huh?

The steroid is good. When I'm in awful pain, and doctor knows there is alot of inflammation he adds steriod to the injection. The series of blocks/epidurals that I get, he can't add steriod to each of them. But when he does, I sure can tell.

We also had who we called "Our Resident Block Expert" -- Cam. I sure hope that she will find us. She has oddles of info and her mind is a sharp as tack! Not like mine which I forget my own name from time to time. Darn meds!

Anyways....That's it for now.

Dana
himomdp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote