View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Thank you so much for getting back to us Pippa.

Believe it or not, I was only thinking about you yesterday. I accessed this site but saw nothing new from you, then YAY! Today's there's an update. I must have some sort of mental telepathy thing going at the moment!

I'm glad you had the VER/VEP because I believe that's the best test there is at the moment to check out permanent damage caused by ON. Naturally I could be wrong, and I often am, but hopefully some-one out there will correct me if necessary. I've had VER/VEPs done myself a few times and the last one was quite funny for me, and I thought I'd share it with you!

I was all wired up to the machine with wires stuck all over my head, but the technician kept saying that his machine was playing up. He kept coming to me and rescrubbing my head, and reapplying the electrodes. He had this weird look on his face like he couldn't understand why his "special" machine was giving out these weird readings.

I told him several times that I'd had ON many times and probably 4 or 5 times in the eye that was giving him trouble, but.....it still never really got through his thick skull that the myelin on that Optic Nerve was so badly damaged, that his machine was not ever going to spit out the "normal" readings that all his other clients so readily provided him!

Even though I've had MS for over 30 years, and been through just about every test there is, and sometimes I've done those same tests many times, it's a very rare occassion when a technician, a radiologist or similar will share their findings with you. I do think it's best that the Neuro explains them to you anyway, especially if there's an abnormality. If something is wrong, the first thing I'd do, and possibly you too, would be to look it up on the Internet, and by doing that we are diagnosing ourselves, and most of us make a right royal mess of that!

One of my neuros also suggested the Migraine thing to me because I have chronic eye pain left over from the last episode of ON, but he proved that wrong by tests and trials of different medications.

I'm not sure what blood work you had done, but I'd be hoping they checked your VitB and also your VitD, as both have proved to be important in several different neurological conditions.

Maybe the other Opthalmo doc is a good idea, but it doen't ring any exciting bells with me I'm afraid. Either you had or have ON or you don't. I can't see another Eye doc seeing things the other one didn't.

But.....in regards to your Neuro......I have known heaps of people over the years since I was first diagnosed with a neurological condition (I dare say you realise by now that it's MS for me). You probably would not be surprised to know the huge percentage of those people who were initially fobbed off with a diagnosis of "Depression" only to be re-diagnosed at a later date with something neurological, where medications may have helped significantly had they been started earlier!

Do wait and see what your neuro says when you go back for your results, but don't give up Pippa. If you're not happy with your ongoing treatment, ask to be referred to some-one different.

We're on your side, and I thank you for checking in. I've been worrying about you, and I'm sure other's have been too!

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ZombiePippa (06-18-2008)