View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default Anyone know anything about computers?

My computer(s) are acting weird!

My desktop computer (a Gateway...I'll call that one Moo) has been acting weird. Locks up all the time. Well, right now, Moo has a dialogue box that wants me to insert my Windows XP SP3 disk.

Wouldnt be a problem except for the fact that Gateway (and Best Buy) did NOT give me any system disks like that when I bought the computer. They gave me blank disks (for setting up recovery disks...whoops!) but no system disks with the pre-installed software on it.

So...how do I fix whatever Moo wants me to do to the registry if I dont have the disk that it wants? I do know that it's probably somewhere on the hard drive, but if I use that to change the registry, doesnt it overwrite that particular file, and if it doesnt work, then I'm screwed...right?

Second problem, probably not as bad, but on my other computer, a laptop (a Toshiba) there's an icon on it's desktop that says "DisableDrWatson" and says it's a Registration Entry file.

What the heck does that mean, and where did it come from?? It says the date modified was June 10th of this year.. I dont remember downloading this thing. I dont know where it came from.

Why are both of my computers acting bizzaro at the same time?

They're both locking up whenever a page has any Flash or Java on it. I dont understand why they're both acting up...

Anyone here understand my little rants about these things?

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote