View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 10:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
Vitamin D deficiencies are the latest "trend" in MS.

In testing for vitamin D deficiencies, there are two methods that labs use for reporting Vitamin D levels:

1. nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL)
(To convert ng/mL to nmol/l: multiply by 2.5, eg. 40 ng/mL *2.5 = 100 nmol/L)
2. nanomoles per liter [nmol/L]
(To convert nmol/l to ng/mL: divide by 2.5, eg. 100 nmol/L /2.5 = 40 ng/mL)

The optimum levels of vitamin D are defined as:

1. LESS THEN 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L) is generally considered inadequate.

2. Between 20 (ng/mL) – 100 (ng/mL) is “normal”, by most accounts.

Where someone is deemed deficient (< 2o ng/mL), which can occur because of:

- dietary inadequacy, i.e. exposure to sunlight is limited or diet restrictions (milk allergies/lactose intolerance, vegetarianism, etc.)
- impaired absorption, i.e kidneys cannot convert vitamin D to its active form, or absorption of vitamin D from the digestive tract is inadequate

. . . The "normal" recommended FNB daily intake of vitamin D range is from 200 IU (5 mcg) to 600 IU (15 mcg) . . . dependant on age (as provided by the NIH & Food and Nutrition Board).

The best way to source Vitamin D naturally is by getting 5-30 minutes of DIRECT sun exposure between 10 AM and 3 PM, at least twice a week. This exposure can be to (NOTE: EITHER) the face, arms, legs, or back. However, one must realize that:

- complete cloud cover can reduce UV energy by 50%
- shade (including that which is produced by severe pollution) reduces UV energy by 60%
- Sunscreens with a sun protection factor of 8+ may block vitamin D-producing UV rays (but people generally do not apply sufficient amounts, or reapply their sunscreen frequently enough to cover all sun-exposed skin anyway)

People can also source sufficient vitamin D from their diet:

- fortified foods will provide most of the vitamin D people need, ie. U.S. milk is fortified with 100 IU/cup of vitamin D (which is already 25% - 50% of the daily recommended value, depending on age).
- 1 tbsp of cod liver oil = 1360 IU’s per serving (almost 3 X the average daily recommended requirment)
- The flesh of fish (such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel) = 200 – 350 IU’s per serving
- fish liver oils
- beef liver, cheese, and egg yolks (15 – 60 UI).
- some ready-to-eat breakfast contain added vitamin D, as do some brands of orange juice, yogurt, and margarine, ie. cereal flours and related products, milk and products made from milk, and calcium-fortified fruit juices and drinks.
- moderate use of commercial tanning beds (that emit 2-6% UVB radiation)

There have been some “theories” about lack of vitamin D being contributory to the initial development of MS, based on the “gradient latitude” hypothesis, . . . but the prevalence and distribution of MS has changed so significantly over recent years, that theory is becoming more and more obsolete. There is also no proof what-so-ever that increased vitamin D will affect the disease process in any way.

Can you find out what your vitamin D levels are right now?

Cherie

Thanks Cherie for replying to me good information. I will find out soon what my Vitamin D levels are my neuro also sends my test results in the mail so probably this week or next week I should know.

Started Copaxone 10/16/07

3-6-9 the goose drank wine the monkey chewed tobacoo on the street car line the line broke the monkey got choked and they all went to heaven in a little row boat...
Kristi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote