Thread: Cold Turkey
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 08:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Cold Turkey

I am having loads of trouble with my PM doctor. This is a one-person medical practice, so there are no partners. About a week and a half before my prescriptions ran out, I called to arrange for a refill. At first, I got a terse “he’s not in until tomorrow afternoon, call back then” from the receptionist. Then, for several days, all I got was voice mail. I left several messages but no return call.

The next week, two days before I was out, I started calling again. I finally got someone to talk to me. She took all of the information for my two meds. She said there were quite a few patients without refills, also. The doctor has been “stopping in” but not finishing these scripts. Several calls later, and a day after the script expired, she finally called and said it was ready. When I went to pick them up, she had the Percocet (for breakthrough pain) but not the oxycodone (regular doses for sustained pain management.) Of course, the doctor was not in.

I pled with my PCP’s office to help me out with an “emergency” prescription, but they are refusing. They say I need to deal with the PM office. How can I deal with someone I can’t find? I am quitting this practice. This type of irresponsibility is unforgivable. Of course, I will be filing a formal complaint with the State, but that does not help me now.

I found a few “old” pills in a drawer and have enough for tomorrow, but then I will be out. Off. Cold Turkey. This makes me nervous. I have tried to get an appointment with a different pain management doctor. But “new patient” appointments are at least five weeks out. No consideration for my circumstances. I am on my own until then.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I am really scared about what I have ahead. Has anyone ever had to stop narcotics like oxycodone Cold Turkey? Is there anything I might do to prepare for withdrawal?

Mike
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote