View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 10:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A Successful Sugery! I am home recovering!

Hi all

I'm sure many of you have been worried and wondering what happened to me. Well, I'm okay and doing pretty good. My surgery was last week on Monday the 9th.

I went in for surgery at about 12:30 but the surgeon ran into a little problem. They had me under anesthesia and he was ready to cut but he was having trouble finding the exact location of the thoracic spine herniation. I AM VERY GLAD I HAD SUCH A PERCISE SURGEON! He stopped everything and ordered full spine X Rays. They viewed the X Rays and counted my vertebrae from top to bottom and bottom to top. I HAVE AN EXTRA VERTEBRAE! I get more and more unique by the minute! The surgeon came out and told my husband and explained how rare this is. But it's good he found it and he was able to find the exact spot and get to the herniation without a problem. He removed the dsic material from the spinal cord and decompressed the cord. They had a little trouble controlling the bleeding so it took a while. I was wheeled into recovery at 6:30 p.m. The recovery room nurse was a nightmare! That's a story for a later time when I'm feeling better. I then was moved to ICU that night and spend the next day in ICU.

Anyways, all the symptoms I had before the surgery are gone! My bladder function is back to normal (and I have been thrilled), my breathing is better and my left leg can move again! I couldn't believe it! Nor could anyone else! THey were amazed that Wednesday, I was up and walking and smiling! I have back pain and it HURTS! but I feel so much better than I did. It has been a HUGE relief! My husband just couldn't believe how well I looked and how well I've been doing. Everyone knows how I was after the TOS surgery and expected this to be much worse. I surprised everyone and I'm doing very well.

I can get up and down steps okay and I prefer walking than sitting..lol. I'm still on lots of pain meds but I'll get through this. I have to lay low for another 3-4 weeks. I have to be VERY careful! I had 10 staples which were removed Wed. I can't start phys therapy for 3-4 weeks. It takes a while to heal from this.

I forgot to get up in the night to take my meds so I'm in excruciating pain this morning. I just got off the phone with Soc Sec (filing for disability). I sure hope that goes through!

Well, I'm going to go rest but just wanted to fill you in - I'll be in touch! If anyone needs an EXCELLENT Neurosurgeon..I know of one! He is the best!

Wishing I could think more positive and be well again!
momzpeachy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
astern (06-22-2008), Jomar (06-20-2008), ThreeForOne (06-22-2008), Twinkletoes (06-20-2008)