View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Oh, that poor boy and his family. I really do feel for them.

While MS is not considered a hereditary disease, I personally, believe that it is a genetic disease, possible at the genome level. I feel that something in our genes was altered and therefore, we can pass that mutation down. I think that because of this particular gene/genome and some type of "environmental" trigger whether during our development in the uterus (possibly some virus, medication, or other exposure our moms had) or after birth while growing up or even as grown ups we ended up with MS. This was probably the case with the Osmonds.

Bless my brother's heart for having to listen to me but, as you know he spent all but the last 3 years of his working life in neurological research MS, migraines, Alzheimer's, and epilepsy to name a few. Oddly, I was diagnosed a couple of years ago. Over the years we have discussed different diseases and more recently MS. I talked to him about my own belief and he agreed. I am sure that there have been some studies on it.

Do I worry about passing it on to DDs, yes without a doubt. However, as I tell DDs, they are more likely to get my essential tremors than MS. Family history wise, well . . .well . . . well, dang nobody has anything hereditary other than my niece. She has sickle cell. But, I think you get my point.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote