Old 06-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

I sure do miss Lara and have been thinking of her sooo much cos this delish frangipani pie has become an all time fave at our home....if you like pineapple and coconut you are going to LOVE this!!

btw 180degC is about 360 def F and I leave it in for 20min to get that yummy crispness to the meringue topping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post

This one I love making and eating.
It's great if you're not allergic to cornflour, flour, eggs, milk and other things. LOL.
I've copied the recipe from an old tv show "Burkes Backyard" online though.

Frangipani Pie

Pineapple Layer:

1 x 450g can crushed pineapple
1/4 cup cornflour mixed with 1/4 cup water
2 eggs (separated)

Coconut Cream Layer:

1-1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornflour mixed with 1/4 cup water
1 cup coconut
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 baked 20cm (8") pastry shell or crumb crust

Method:

1. Bring crushed pineapple to boil. Add egg yolks to blended cornflour and stir into pineapple, stirring until thick. Set aside.
2. For coconut cream layer, heat milk, sugar and pinch salt in saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Add blended cornflour and stir until thick.
3. Remove from heat and add coconut, butter and vanilla.
4. Spoon half coconut cream mixture into pastry shell. Add pineapple, then remaining cream.
5. Top with meringue (using the 2 egg whites and 4 tablespoons sugar) and bake in a moderate oven, 180°C for 15 minutes.

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (06-20-2008), Alffe (06-22-2008), Curious (06-20-2008), Koala77 (06-21-2008), Lara (01-07-2009)