Thread: School
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 08:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

What a great thread! I have missed you guys soooo much!

Langan was in school all summer but started the official school year again on 8/14. She LOVES it. At our request, she stayed in the 3 year old class. So she is in her same preschool class with her same teachers and her same wonderful aide. I was sad about losing the daily contact with her friends from last year, but most of them stick their heads in and say hello to her in the mornings. And the two with later birthdays stayed back as well, so she has some familiar little faces there.

The new group of kids seems like a great group. They are the mellowest 3 year olds I have ever seen! I think that's a great thing for Langan- she gets the interaction with typical peers but the atmosphere isn't too overstimulating. The other two delayed kids have pretty mild delays but everyone has welcomed Langan. There is already one sweet little girl who seems to be taking a special interest in my girl. We were so excited to have Langan stay in that classroom. Her teachers know her so well and her aide, Ms. Kim, really should be a teacher- she is amazing! She is also continuing to keep Langan for us after school 3 days a week, so we are thankful for that. She seems to pack learning and therapy into every minute that she is with Langan, while still making it fun. Langan LOVES Ms. Kim!

Technically, we will be looking at kindergarten next year. However, since we have kept Langan in the 3 year old curriculum again this year, I am already formulating my argument that she needs to stay at this school another year so that she can participate in the 4 year old curriculum. That IEP is way down the road but we'll see how it goes!

Increased seizures are our real challenge. Langan is just out of it on the days when she has had a rough night. Luckily, they know her well and take great care of her on the "down" days. But I sure wish she didn't have to deal with that on top of everything else.

Therapies kicked in last week at school and we have all the same therapists except for a new PT. We're hoping for great things again this year! I hope everyone else is having a great school experience as well!

A big surprise came on the first day of school when we got our copy of the parent's handbook for this year. Langan's picture was on the cover! My little cover girl. The handbook isn't online but here is a link to the school brochure they recently printed. It has a quote from me about Langan's experience there- on p. 7 I think. I love that school!!

http://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/sgs/sgs_brochure.pdf

(((hugs)))
Wendy, mom to Langan, the love of my life, born 7/19/02. Global delays, intractable seizures, mystery girl. VNS implanted 2/10/06, now on small dose of lamictal and fighting for seizure control, and wife to Jon, the other love of my life!!
langansmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote