View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 09:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It sounds okay, but it seems like a new diet is coming out every day or so these days and often there isn't a lot of science to back up the claims.

I personally like Weight Watchers and lost 25 pounds on their system several years ago and have kept it off with only a few slip ups. DH lost 35 pounds. They have two programs...one of which has one awards and doesn't require point/calorie counting. You can also do it on-line. Both encourage eating foods that are low in fat and high in fiber. They also encourage folks to eat lots of fruit and vegetables and drink plenty of water. Exercise is encouraged as well. Often times people know what to do, but they need a system for guidance, the accountability of the scale, help with faulty thinking and encouragement during the rough spots. I think the meeting rooms help with those things.

Sometimes our bodies don't respond as anticipated. I do believe that with careful observation, we can often make personal adjustments just for our own needs. For example...if you find yourself saying "I seem to gain weight whenever I drink milk." Well...my answer would be don't drink milk and think about reducing or even elimnating other dairy products as well.

I think that for a very large percentage of people, it does boil down to portion control, chosing quality (low fat/high fiber preferred) foods, drinking water and keeping our bodies moving.

Other folks, might have metabolic difficulties and probably need to seek additional insight from a physician or nutritionist.

Very recently, I have noticed that I have started to gain some weight unexpectedly. Upon review of my situation, I probably have every known risk factor for weight gain out there...thyroid issue, stress, taking a medication that is known to be problematic, over a "certain age," female...etc. My doctor suggested that I take 200 mgs of Chromium Picolate daily and this seems to be helping. I also know I do better when I drink plenty of water...but this 'ol gal seems to be stubborn!

Other than the B12 concern and possibly the lack of calcium in the diet you mention, perhaps it is not too bad. Does he encourage regular exercise? Be sure to take a multi-vitamin mineral supplement (at the very least). I'm sure you will want to check with your physician at your next visit.

Wishing you much success with your weight loss and good health goals.

p.s. Check out a cereal company called Nature's Path. They make unusual cereals. One is called "slim" and is low fat/high fiber. Some have flax seed in them Delicious! Also...Portabella mushrooms are almost "meaty" in texture...I can see where that could be "like" a meat substitute.
http://www.naturespath.com/products/cold_cereals

Last edited by Vowel Lady; 06-22-2008 at 10:16 PM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mari (06-23-2008)