View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 01:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Jo,

I got a bill from a collections agency for something I thought had been paid by insurance long time ago. We ignored several notices, not on purpose so much as just one of those things put off "til later" again and again as it meant going through the reams of ins. statements I have collected (too bad they're not decorative on the back side as I have enough to paper a good-size room ) and what with kids activities and homework, work (dh) and not feeling well (me), later just kept getting, well, ...later.

After I learned I won my case EVERY bit of paper related in any way to my condition had to be organized and looked at to determine out-of-pocket expenses, and I figured out that the ins. co had denied that claim - for $1200 I believe. But the latest notice we had from the collection agency offered to settle it and clear it from our record for $500, which we did as soon as we realized that it was still unpaid. I'm not sure if the collection agency you're dealing with will reduce the amt they're asking if you don't respond to the first few notices or not, you may not want to risk it, but they may be bluffing to see if they can get the whole amount, and will eventually settle for less.

My first thought was to put this back in the wc lawyer's lap, after all they are the one who did not present these bills at the correct time, so they should finish the job. At the very least the atty could call and try to get the fee lowered, he/she wd have more of an impact than "little people" like you and I against collection agency types - they're almost impossible to get anywhere with, really don't care about what your circumstances are, just out to collect what's owed, period.

If the wc lawyer won't lift a finger, call the insurance co and ask to speak to a manager - don't let the service reps put you off, just firmly repeat that you want to speak with a manager as they seem to play "keep-away". You only want to discuss your problem once, so save it for the manager, who is in a position to help. Ask if they can negotiate a lower fee with the hospital directly, or if not, with the collection agency. Ask what their usual reduction would be for these services - it may actually be against the law in your state for a Dr or hospital to deny a patient the SAME reduced rate they wd accept from that person's health insurance. You may want to check with a lawyer.

You may also want to call the hospital directly, or go in person to the billing department. Most hospitals I am familiar with accept monthly payments, you may find if you take $200 in and tell them you are able to pay X number of $ a month that they will be more than happy to accomodate you, and get the collection agency off your back. It's worth a try.

Best of luck! Try not to let it stress you too much (easier said than done) , do lots of body checks to check for and release tension in the neck and shoulders, and try to relax tonight with music and a warm bath. This too will pass!

(((hugs))), beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote