View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 12:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

1) I now sleep with two extra pillows - one in between my DH and I, at the top of the bed; if/when I roll onto my left side, I rest my hand on the pillow, rather than stretching it out horizontally. The stretch was problematic for the left ulnar nerve/elbow. The second pillow is one I "hug" at night. It's about the same width as my shoulders...so it keeps the shoulders from rounding in and collapsing on the brachial nerve.

2) Chin tucks. Doing chin tucks when driving helps relieve the strain in the upper traps.

3) I remove all hair ornaments from my hair while driving. I found that elastics/pony tails/hair clips put my head in a "chin forward" angle, which increased the strain.

4) I've added a 6" Tempurpedic foam cushion to my bed. It has *drastically* reduced the problems with compression of the arms/falling aleep feelings I had in my arms at night.

5) I now read on the couch with2-3 pillows piled in my lap to elevate the books.

6) Headset, headset, headset.

7) Ibuprofen when I first start to tighten up. Add muscle relaxants when I flare up - stoicism does NOT help.

8) Warmth. microwave socks, heating pads, jacuzzi soaking, a trip to the local spa with a sauna/jacuzzi/masseuse.

9) Biofeedback. I'm constantly checking myself. Am I gripping the steering wheel too hard? Am I cocking one hip while standing? Am I leaning against a table or wall, putting pressure on the arms/shoulders?

10) Reserve yourself. I now have a yard guy, a house cleaner, and get my car washed and waxed by others. It's not worth compromising my health.

It can help, with a lot of work and self-awareness.

Sandi
sandi_k is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (02-22-2009), astern (06-24-2008), billy027 (06-24-2008), Donna7 (10-05-2008), gibbrn (09-07-2008), sweettheresa (06-26-2010), thursday (06-24-2008), TraceyW (06-24-2008)