View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejcaroll View Post
My Tn started in 77. I have V1, V2 (L). The spontaneous pains are now gone, for 10 years, but the eye movement and usage pain remains with light sensitvty, soreness, etc.
My docs first said, and then some after the Dx and surgical proof, that I needed a shrink (my father did too but that's another story.)
I have a birth defect that resulted in dozens of extra blood vesseks in my brain. Some vessels were wrapped around a part of the brain. That caused the pain. Unfortunately, after the first surgery, a decompression, not an MVD, which worked, including stopping the eye pain, the pain returned 3 months later. (The vessels had apparently grown back.)
I have had many surgeries including an MVD done by Peter Jannetta, My face was paralyzed as a result of that surgery. I am currently with an experimental brain implant.
Please exhaust your medical options before turning to surgery. If you do decide to go that route please read everything you can, and talk to a lot of people about their experiences with the various procedures, before making any decisions.
(The first chapter of my book is online. It gives a good description of the onset and what happened after in trying to get a dx. It won;t let me put the link but if you would like you can find the first chapter excerpted at Amazon or Xlibris, Google A PAINED LIFE, a chronic pain journey and you will come up with a click for the book.)

Many of the people I have talked with over the years do not have what is considered the "typical" symptoms. At one meeting I attended a few of the docs talked about changing the definition so that it was a continuum from trigeminal neuralgia to atypical facial pain to anaesthesia dolorosa (phantom pain - secondary to surgery. I actually have all 3, typical tic, atypical and the AD from other surgical intervention.)
leej
Thank you for posting. I'm all for failing medical management before submitting to surgery but there seems to be a lot of people jumping at it early on. My pain began as atypical, and is now a mix of classic and atypical. I found your observation of the medical community thinking of changing the continum very interesting. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Ellena
EE03 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote