View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 01:00 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Adrenaline, etc

The endocrine system is a huge and largely unexplored region of the PD experience. Neurologists typically know little of it. Yet it affects everything. Dozens of hormones interacting with dozens of neurotransmitters. Yet there is an artificial line which says that on this side you should be a neurologist and on that side you should be an endocrinologist. Never mind that neither will ever have a complete picture.

We are constantly awash in a sea of chemicals. They are not just a "chemical" either any more than a "word" is just a word. They are messengers carrying reports, queries, and commands from one end of us to the other. And the old model of the powerful brain at the center receiving input through the senses, processing data, and sending orders out the nerve fibers couldn't be more wrong. Every single cell is monitoring the datastream passing by in chemical form and is capable of adding a few sentences of its own when circumstances warrant. Its like the internet, each of us able to add in while monitoring the larger conversation.

If there is a true command center, it has to be the HPA axis (hypothalamus, pituitary, adrenal). That is where the Big Three come together - Mind, Body, and World. And its the heart of the endocrine system. See a tiger (World) and your Mind doesn't waste time with the stodgy old brain. It yells at your heart (Body) to beat faster, etc. No brain needed.

....Now, how the heck did I get onto that tangent?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
When I cut all sweets out of my diet, dyskinesia literally disappears from my list of movement disorders. Unless I OD on my meds. The interesting thing to me is if I take both A benzo and an agonist with my sinemet I will become dyskinetic(??) I suspect the relaxation effect of the benzo puts me in an overmedicated state because I need less sinemet when calm. It's all speculation, but like Rick I can predict what will have what effect on me.

The need to go to the washroom is an adrenaline effect. Somehow when your sinemet is blocked from reaching the brain it gets redirected to your adrenal system and cranks the whole off experience into overdrive.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote