View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 11:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH45 View Post
I had a Medtronics implanted May of 2005 and love it. After a trial implant of one week that was very successful for SOME of my neuropathic pain I elected to continue with the regular implant. What a blessing! I know it is not for everyone and certainly not for all types of chronic back pain. The success is not only determined by the type of pain, but the skill of the doctor implanting the leads and generator.

My SCS virtually eliminates my pain in the buttocks and the back of my thighs, however it does NOTHING for the pain in the lumbar region. I think I remember some doctor referring to my lumbar pain as "mechanical". Probably not nerve pain, but I just don't know.

As far as I am concerned, my SCS implant was very successful! Sorry for all the problems everyone has had with their SCS implant.
Hi DUTCH45
After reading so many "it didn't work" comments I was beginning to think I was a little nuts.
After trying epidurals, very temporary... botox injections, mild relief plus a lot of trials and errors my doc suggesed a trial for SCS.
Did the "outside" set up first before the leads inplant and for 4 days I thought "oh well another bomb".
I had been using a very $$$ tens set up which did help somewhat so doc thought this might be the better of the 2.
The 5th day I went in and told them this is doing not much better, let's quit.
That night I was in one of my frequent "I give up" moods. By the 3rd day I called his office and said the darn thing must have done something as I feel worse. Seems my brain thought it worked so when it was unconnected brain went into "what's going on now" mode.
That was 2 years ago. Does it "cure" the severe scolosis and kyphosis of course not, make it bearable sure does.
My "S curve" was a road block since he couldn't get the leads up high enough for a miracle but I'll take anything that helps. The pain in my legs and lower back is doable. I set it around 280 and jack it up to 325 or so when needed.
That's better than 6 Ultrams a day compared to 1 or 2.
The SCS combined with RAF of the facet joints is a winner.
Anyone here try the RAF of the facet joints...... I don't think I could continue without them every 5 months.
My doctor is an Anesthesiologist. Many are specializing in pain management and when it comes to my spine I want someone who knows what they are going.

BTW. I have read where some have the leads removed. Word of caution these are not intended to be removed that easily.. what with scar tissue and probable infections my doctor never removes them... he would removed the battery but that's it.
So make sure the trial period works for you first. Also wear a med bracelet or RX neck chain informing you have the implants and absolutley NO MRI or diathermy.
Thanks for listening.
Florida gal
Floridian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote