View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

There is no easy fix to this story.

Everyone will have their perspective on this. What should the mother have done? What should the flight attendant have done? and more important, what should the pilot have done?

I've seen autism and I've seen raging fits. An airplane is not place for anyone (I don't care how old), to have a raging fit. What if something happened, and someone got hurt?

I have seen children on planes. Some were crying, some were angels. It's hard enough for a regular 2 year old to get on a plane and stay calm for 2 hours, let alone an autistic child.

I don't think the mother thought this through. With more and more children being diagnosed with Autism every day, and I gather more people will be traveling, with their autistic children, I would imagine that the aviation industry is going to have to start teaching courses to their Flight Attendants.

How to deal with a handicapped child who is having a meltdown. Then, flight attendants can be trained to know how to deal with a child who is having a bad time of it.

This is just plain common sense. The flight attendant was clearly overwhelmed. She did not know what to do. The pilot did not know what to do either.

And the stuff with the bag, well I have no idea who is telling the truth.

It's a very hard call.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote