Thread: Good article
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/n...src=RSS_PUBLIC

I'm not sure I can get this link to work, and I don't know why. Since this is the case, I will put a little bit of information. It is from WebMD Health News June 26, 2008
The article is called Women: Eat Well, Live Longer

The article involves research at Harvard tracking 72,000 women over 18 years. These women had no health problems. They ate two different diets and every 2-4 years received questionnaires about what they ate.

Here is a small part of the article:

"Two distinct dietary patterns emerged.

Researchers called one pattern the "high prudent" diet. This included lots of vegetables, fruit, legumes, and whole grains, as well as lean protein sources such as fish and poultry.

The other dietary pattern, dubbed "Western," included more red and processed meat, refined grains, french fries, sugary foods, and desserts."

(The article goes on to say that over 6000 people in the study died...)

"Women with the most "prudent diet" had a 28% lower risk of dying from heart disease. They also had a 17% lower risk of death from all the diseases studied, including cancer, diabetes, and stroke.

Women who followed a diet highest in meats, processed and refined foods, and sweets had a 22% higher risk of dying from heart disease. They also had a 21% increased risk of dying from all causes combined."[/I]
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote