View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default "cant" ??

Hi Didi,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was away for a few days.

I am not familiar with the term "cant". Are you sure you have this term correct? Did he say slant??

There are ways to compensate for a slanted smile. But the treatment depends on why it's slanted to begin with.

Some reasons for a slanted smile:
1) The jawline could be slanted yet the roots of the teeth are really all the same size. This would appear in the mouth as if some of the teeth were embedded in the gumline more than others. When it's actually the jawline itself is not symetrical.

2)The gumline has either overgrown some of the teeth for some reason and these teeth appear shorter or not in line or the gum has receeded with some of the teeth and these teeth appear to be longer or not in line with the others.

3) Crooked teeth or an over bite can cause the teeth to look out of line or slanted.

4)Teeth that have unnatural wear patterns on the biting surfaces due to malocclusion (uncorrected bite issues) will look out of line or slanted.

5) Periodontal disease can also affect the appearance of the teeth as some teeth can drift downward from the gumline as the bone deteriorates. This makes other teeth look shorter and out of sync with the rest of the smile.

Sometimes there is not much that can be done to correct what we were born with as far as our skeletal system unless we undergo invasive or major cosmetic recontouring.

The first dentist was able to make your bite look cosmetically appealing where as the second dentist was not able to do that same thing. Again, there are many reasons why this could occur and it may or may not be fixable to your liking.

Please keep in mind that the more you alter these teeth with new crownwork, the more likely they are to die and require either root canals or extractions. Root canals are not a healthy long term fix by any means. It is just a temporary procedure which will need to be readdressed in a uncertain amount of time.

The least invasive corrections are best as far as the health of these teeth.

Please let us know what you hear from your correspondence with the dentist and update us on your appointment in July. If you find out what that word was that he used, let me know....... I'll try to help you with it!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didi View Post
I appreciate any infomation that you have regarding this question as the LVI dentist told me that one reason my mouth looks different is that the first dentist did not address my "cant" (teeth running uphill on the left side). My original crowns that were in place for twenty five years did not reveal my "cant". In otherwords, the first dentist must have compensatied for the cant by making the teeth on the left side slightly The dentist who performed the current work did not address the"cant".
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote