View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

JO:

One more question about laptops.

And if I already asked this, I'm having a senior moment.

When she does get the laptop, how does she get on the internet?

I would imagine that ALL laptops come with AOL or Verizon, or SOMETHING to set up, right?

Now I don't know if she has cable or satelite or if she wants to link up anything.

Let's say she has cable in her home. She obviously does not have a cable modem.

So she brings in the laptop, she calls me up, I go over there and I'm staring at this laptop.

We plug it in and we turn it on.

Naturally we are NOT ON THE INTERNET because she hasn't set up any account in her name or anything like that.

I can take her around the corner to Dunkin Donuts (with the laptop) and show her how WI-FI works. Everybody sits in Dunkin and uses their laptops. I've watched one guy and he turned on his laptop and went online and the thing said "searching for signal" and he was online. He explains he was using Dunkin Donut's wi-fi stuff (what exactly does this mean by the way).

So lets' say we are now at her house, laptop is plugged in, and she wants to set up an account.

I gather I double click on whatever icon is on her screen (whether it's AOL, or whatever), I have no clue.

Now here's where I get confused. Is this a dsl connection, a dial up connection or what kind of a connection is this?

Doesn't she have to set up an account through an internet service provider and give her credit card and then she's charged so much a month for internet service??

Is this how it's done with a laptop??

Someone please help me because she's getting one soon, and I'm the first person she's gonna call!!!

Thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote