Old 06-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Dear Morgy,
There is no meaty part to his book.
His organization is all over the place.
He spends a lot of time on how plant based diets are good for people.
->I like that he provides lots of research and a good index.

He spells out his six week into diet plan in Chapter 8 --especially pp.181-184.

On page 140 he mentions that he was a vegetarian in the early 1970s while he was on the U.S. World FIgure Skating Team. http://www.goldenskate.com/competiti...oam/jaca.shtml -- see 1976 when he came in third in pair skating.
While exercising 5 hours a day, he ate huge amounts of fruits veggies, raw nuts, and whole grains. -- he includes this to demonstrate that he got plenty of protein.

On page 69 he mentions the China-Cornell-Oxford Project:
http://www.ctsu.ox.ac.uk/projects/cecology1989/

Quote:
During 1983, in collaboration with the Chinese Academies of Medical Science and of Preventive Medicine (CAMS & CAPM), two rural villages were chosen at random in each of 65 counties, detailed biochemical and dietary studies were made of the middle-aged adults, and the results related to the cause-specific death rates in those counties.

This led to a 1990 monograph [83] that won an award for being the best medical monograph of the decade published in China, and helped guide a number of other studies.

In 1989 the survey was repeated in these villages, along with a detailed survey of the causes of 300,000 deaths in those counties. A preliminary monograph of the 1989 results is available.
(About a year ago I bought the book called "The China Study" that explains the study. Supposedly some parts of this study are flawed. Still, it is an interesting and useful study.)

Chapter 9 has the shopping plan and some recipes.

Page 90 provides of list of calcium dense foods. It turns out that Bok choy, turnip greens, collard greens, kale, and even romaine lettuce are good source of calcium.

At the bottom of page 115 he basically sums up his plan:
Quote:
. . . eat as many vegetables, beans, and fresh fruits as possible and less of everything else.

Pages 122-126 talks about good oil and ground flax seed.

Here is his version of the food pyramid: page 187.

I hope that I didn't spoil the book for you.

I'll be interestd to see what you get out of it.

The best way to look at a drastic diet change imo is to first think of it as ADDING foods instead of GIVING UP foods. So I am focused on adding 2 bowls of uncooked veggies to my diet each day. I am not usually successfull, but that is my goal.

Mari

Last edited by Mari; 06-28-2008 at 11:43 AM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (06-28-2008), Curious (06-28-2008)