View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 01:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Ashley and others interested in DM

I have just now read your posting from yesterday.

Yes, I am still taking dextromethorphan in the form of the cough syrup "Simply Cough" each night before I turn in. The rest of my medication remains as it was when I described it earlier.

I am pleased to report that my symptoms do not seem to have progressed since starting this regimen. I am only 5 years into my diagnosis, though, and sinemet "honeymoons" have been known to last 10-15 years.

Perhaps the best indication of non-progression, or at least slowed progression, is the fact that my daily carbidopa/levodopa is only 2X50/200mg CR, plus one-half of a regular 25/100mg tablet for a morning "jump start."
CoQ10 is 900mg, amantadine 100mg, plus extra vitamin E and C, two multivitamins, Effexor and Welbutrin daily.

I have not heard directly from Dr. Hong lately, but have been keeping up with his scientific publications.

Last month, a former vice-president for research for Merck visited in our department. Since this man's special interest is neuroscience, I told him about my Dx and my use of DM. I described Hong's work to him, and showed a lot of interest in it and asked me for a copy of his latest publication in which he described similar supression of mouse midbrain inflammation by other recently discovered natural protein neurohormones and small fragments (peptides) derived from them.
I expect to eventually hear about clinical trials with DM in PD that may have already begun in Taiwan.

Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote