Old 06-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisC View Post
I'm familiar with yerba mate. A friend of mine from a few years ago drank it. I think I'll get myself some. Do you drink it Mrs. D?

Thanks for the info on biofreeze.

Best,
Kris
Yes, I have had it now for about 2 yrs. A friend sent it to me
for Xmas, and I found that it totally fixed my gall bladder problem (for now). I've had lots of tests, scans showing nothing but I get episodes of pain/gas from it.
Surprisingly the Yerba fixed it. I only use green unsmoked type. It is made by EcoTeas which I buy online in bag form.
I found an extract in capsule form, also, which I use if I am not in the mood for tea. It is called Green Mate, by Jarrow.
It works just as well!
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=194

I found PubMed papers about Yerba Mate being a chloeretic which explains the GI improvements with it.

If you decide to use it... only buy the green type, the smoked is implicated in oral cancers...due to the smoking etc. (like other smoked foods etc). People in S.America drink this avidly...consuming huge amounts daily...I only do one tea bag or one capsule daily. That seems plenty for me.
Don't heat the water really hot, because that destroys the antioxidant and other nutrient benefits. (no boiling etc).
EcoTeas have a nice website...you can Google that easily.
Yerba Mate has been tested and found to have twice the antioxidant content compared to green tea!

I really like it, and it has been very therapeutic for me.
It appears to have a mood lifting quality...without caffeine type jitters. This helps alot with pain issues, I think. It supposedly has some caffeine in it, but I can't feel it. Perhaps the caffeine is complexed to an organic molecule, to lessen its absorption rate. I am very sensitive to caffeine!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote