View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I also agree with crate training. My lab did wonderful and actually had anxiety when we decided to stop crate training.
She is three years old and house trained.

What I am getting from your post is this. One, the dog is afraid, not of you, but of what may happen. She may have been beat and is afraid it could happen again. Also, everything she knew at the other house is bad (from your suspicions) so she is avoiding those familiar things. Third, the over protective attitude is possibly showing you she can be a good watch dog and is trying to gain your approval.

I know this all sounds so out there but I truly believe an animal can feel certain things and remember bad things. You say she crotches when hubby looks at her. Maybe he should start establishing being the "alpha" of the family. Have him feed her, take her out and discipline her. This wont have to be forever, just until she knows who is in charge. The main goal here is that she know she is not in control.

Whenever she pees on the floor, take her immediately out. Scold her if you catch her in the act but not if you didn't. She'll be too confused by that. Don't use the crate as punishment either or she'll think of it as a bad place.

As far as friends go, when you have your friend over, you hold the baby. Have your friend sit near you and call the dog over. Don't pass the baby over to your friend until your fur baby feels secure that she will not hurt the baby. If she continues this behavior you may have to crate her while company is over. Just make sure you do it before the company arrives so she doesn't think she's being punished.

If you must leave, crate your fur baby and leave a toy with her or something that reminds her of you. Make sure of course, that it isn't something she could choke or hurt herself with. Maybe a pillow or something like that. My lab loved laying with my pillow if I left. She could smell me on it and it relaxed her.

I think that's about it. I would also take her to the vet for a good check up just to be sure nothing else is going on. She may need a doggie downer or something to relax her until she is fully acclimated to your home. The submissive peeing is something that I also agree is not in her control. My friend had a dog who peed everytime I came by, only with me. lol I would not scold her for that at all.