View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 02:38 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm really glad to hear about how much mucuna is helping some of you. Mucuna is still a mystery to most of us pd'ers, but I'm still pretty pleased with my results. I've started taking it over 18 months ago. Back then I was taking 4 to 5 tablets of Sinemet 200/50 CR a day with mostly OFF times. Sinemet wasn't working very effectively for me anymore, so I've decided to gradually replaced my Sinemet with mucuna over several months. I'm now taking only 1/4 tablet of Sinemet 200/50CR with 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) Zandopa (powdered mucuna) from India 3 or 4 times a day. When I'm out, I'll substitute the Zandopa powder with 1 1/2 mucuna tablet from Herbsforever. I've had pd for 7 years now, so I'm probably taking more mucuna than most of you. I wouldn't recommend anyone taking this much to start.
But I'm really happy that I've managed reduced my Sinemet intake by 80%. I'm in much better shape now than 18 months ago. I really don't have any side effects. IT'S A SHAME the medical doctors aren't prescribing it. Here are some of the benefits that have occurred since I've started using mucuna.
When the mucuna/sinemet kicks in, I no longer have any muscle aches, my tremors are gone (only comes back if I get stressed), can walk mostly normal, no more freezing, etc. I would say that I'm 80% normal. I can walk, jog, run, ride a bike, write pretty normal, feel pretty good, not depressed just enjoying life again. Here's a biggie: I'm no longer constipated.
I will always try to take it on an empty stomach. I'll use a small electric blender to mix the powder and I chew the Sinemet ( I know, I'm not suppose to). Anyway, it works for me. I would highly recommend it.
Another consideration to use mucuna, is to boost your Sinemet when it starts to fail you instead of taking Comton or Mirapex, etc. Anyway, just a thought.

Good luck,
Max
Max19BC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ariela (07-14-2008)