View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 07:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

LizaJane,

Thank you for explaining the L5/S1! You hit the nail on the head as far as my symptoms go! On my MRI you can see the L5/S1 lying against or pressing against a nerve root. However, my MRI report ONLY speaks of facet degeneration; pretty bad on the left and mild on the right. The pain refers exactly to where you speak of; including the outer part of my feet and ankles.

What I was THRILLED to read was that you said it will mimic peripheral neuropathy. My neurologist has run a billion tests not once, but twice. The final diagnosis was idiopathic PN...which means of course; all tests negative but they don't know what caused it. She also told me it barely showed up on the EMG and QSART. So, all of this time I thought I had PN! And I thought this because I had a fusion in my neck in 2004. Six months after that fusion I had burning in my hands and feet. BUT my C5/C6 was bad too until just recently when I had it fused. Well, guess what? The PN is gone in my hands...totally. It remains in my feet but just a little. The bottom line is...instead of PN I really now believe that all of this was simply radiculopathy! I can't understand why nerve root impingement wouldn't have shown up on an EMG but it didn't. In the meantime I have also seen a podiatrist just to have him check on my orthotics. The first thing he asked, and he was a new guy I just got, was, "Do you have a pinched nerve or problem with your L5 or S1?" I had not said a word until he examined me. It was amazing! I guess he could tell by my reflexes. He told me he didn't think I had PN at all but radiculopathy instead. So, I am so hoping this is the case. I know that must sound crazy. But with idiopathic PN it was worrying me to death! Now, it seems I have an answer to what is really going on. Oh, and I also have a rectocele. So, sometimes it is difficult to determine what is what.

I see my Neurologist today and I am going to mention this to her as well as to take my lumbar MRI report.

Thanks again for clearing this up for me anyway!
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote