View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

YOU LOST ME AT TOM CRUISE (ACTUALLY YOU LOST ME AT ETHEL). Surprised you didn't say 'ETHEL TO TILLY, ETHEL TO TILLY, COME IN TILLY". (now, if you get THAT ONE, you must have seen all the I Love Lucy Shows. lol ).

Okay, here's one thing you wrote: "Give it a shot, and if it works for her that she can log on to highspeed internetand can bypass an internet provider, please let me know cause then I am going to have to ask you how you did it."

Here's where I get confused. If she gets the laptop, plugs the ELECTRICAL PLUG, into the ELECTRICAL OUTLET. then turns on the laptop, she NOW HAS A WORKING LAPTOP, right. It's turned on and ready to do whatever she wishes to do, right??"

So if I'm sitting at this laptop, and I see all these icons and one of them is AOL, (WOULDN'T THAT BE AN INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER??).

So I double click on the AOL icon, I follow the prompts, we create an account (don't know if she wants a broadband or whatever), she can always get that down the road, she just wants to LEARN right now). If she creats an account, and then she goes online using AOL.

Well, isn't AOL then, her internet service provider????

And she can't use my disc even if she wants Verizon, because I COULDN'T USE MY DISC when I set up my dsl line. Took me 3 hours because my disc wouldn't work in getting me set up with Verizon DSL.

I had ordered Verizon DSL. They told me I would see a green light on my modem and that I could insert the disc and set up the software. I know how to do this, so I began doing it. Alan took one look at the screen and walked out of the room saying "I can't watch this, it would drive me crazy". I laughed. Then I stopped laughing because after one point, I could not continue and I had to contact Verizon Support which connected me to someone in the Phillipines (who spoke Spanish and thank god I DO SPEAK SOME SPANISH), because it took me 3 hours. This person had to take me step by step through COUNTLESS maneuvers to get my dsl software working.

I've had to tweak this over the past 2 years with the help of a Verizon software tech person.

I can't imagine my neighbor ever doing this. You have to have a great deal of patience.

I had to set up the litle old people's downstairs computer and dsl service for them.

How would you like to see software come up in Italian and have to do the whole thing in Italian (with speaking to YET ANOTHER Verizon Tech person who was operating out of who knows where)???

But I did this. Can't believe I did this.

I actually thought that my neighbor could get the laptop, just turn it on, load up the software and go online. I gather this is not that easy. That there are steps.

routers, whether they be wireless or not, well I have no idea. I have never gotten one, never needed one.

I do know that if I ever buy my own laptop, I will get a router, hook it up, and then I can bounce the laptop off of the router. This I know.

But we are talking about a person with no computer, no modem, no nothing in the house, who will not take this laptop out of the house (I know this now), so there's no going to Dunkin Donuts to show her how to get a wi-fi signal).

This will be one of the funniest moments in my life when they think they are calling Melody the Expert, and Melody has to come here and ask more questions.

Thanks ever so much.

Will come back when she gets it.

Take care. You're a doll

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote