View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Patches for pain relief

The subject of patches has just come up.

Here is a short explanation of what is available now as of 6-08
for pain relief:

Okay... this a good time to explain patches, I guess!

There are several types.

1) Fentanyl (Duragesic) RX ONLY--this is a very potent narcotic and effective but has alot of warnings with it to NOT use in people who are not already using high doses of another narcotic.
(the term is opiate naive). There can be severe side effects and even death if it is improperly prescribed and monitored.
But for severe pain...it is effective.
http://www.duragesic.com/duragesic/
These CANNOT be cut or severe results will occur including death.

2) Lidoderm patchesRX ONLY -- these contain lidocaine which is a numbing agent. They were designed specifically for post herpetic neuralgia, but they have been shown to work very well for other chronic pain issues. I started these right when they came out.. and really like them. They help me tremendously.
(placement can be tricky, and failure with them may reflect where they are placed).
Their website:
http://www.lidoderm.com/
These MAY be cut to fit any size placement.

3) Salonpas OTC-- These are over the counter pain patches with different formulas. I use the ones with methyl salicylate in them. They are more effective than BenGay or IcyHot patches which only have menthol in them.
Salonpas(R) Pain Relief Patches & Sprays for Powerful Pain Relief When and Where You Need It.
These MAY be cut to fit fingers and toes.

4) Flector--RX ONLY these are new in USA, and I am trying to get some. It looks like I will have to wait until September, since my doctor is leary of new things...
These have the NSAID diclofenac in them. I expect them to work like the Salonpas. However the Salonpas cost pennies each and Flector costs mega DOLLARS!
They have been in Europe for about 15 years, and have just been approved for "short term pain" here around January 08.
FLECTOR(R) Patch (diclofenac epolamine patch) 1.3% | Safety Info
These may be cut (but the doctor I talked to at their website says the FDA has not approved cutting them however, yet, but that may be in the future approved)

5) There is an antidepressant in patch form, called Emsam. RX ONLY
However, as of now, the company that makes it is not targeting it for pain. That might change in the future, as many drugs become commonly prescribed off label.
44 - File or directory not found.
This is an MAOinhibitor, and requires careful supervision.
These MAY NOT be cut.

I personally like the patch idea. I use both Salonpas and Lidoderm with great success. (Lidoderms are expensive if your insurance does not cover them). Salonpas are extremely INexpensive.

Edit to add: as of Oct 2016 there are two new topical patch types that are OTC now. Salonpas has introduced a stronger patch with ingredients more like their arthritis one.. but still called "original". They are available at WalMart now in a 60 patch box. But Costco still does not have them. The other small ones are no longer in stores but some Ebay venders are still selling them. Read the ingredients on the box to see if you are using the old original or the new product (which has 10% methylsalicylate in it)

Aspercreme is now offering a 4% patch (this is the same strength as the lotion with Lidocaine the offer. The RX form of Lidocaine patches are 5% in comparison and much more expensive than the new Aspercreme 4% ones.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 10-02-2016 at 11:13 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote