View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 06:33 PM
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member

I guess you have to tell your friend it is not that easy. Otherwise they wouldn't have tech supports from India and there would be no complaints about anything. LOL

I guess this is the part where someone says, welcome to the real life.

The internet world is an evolving process. What's true for today may not be true for tomorrow. There are many variables and only few that are defined.

What is true is this. What I was trying to convey is how puters communicate is very much like humans communicate with eachother. And now instead of us calling eachother on the phone, we can do it via puters and internet.

What you were asking originally was can one go through ethernet to AOL without an external modem and just her laptop, I don't think so, personally cause ETHERNET = HIGH SPEED.

She needs an EXTERNAL modem. Laptops have INTERNAL Modems but now we are talking about two different things here.

this is because of the speed that is needed to process high speed information back and forth. A dial up "talks" a lot slower while ethernet connected to a modem "talks" a lot faster.

If she doesn't want to call anybody and want to by pass all and want to do it legally, then I think she needs to do the PHONE jack set up. That is NOT ethernet. That is a dial-up setup.

She then can always upgrade or choose later.

I'll include a link where I think best answers your question at the end of this post.

I was saying give it a shot anyways, but I don't think it'll work. But who knows. Maybe cablevision mistakenly gave her some sort of internet access, but how can she log in without an EXTERNAL modem would be beyond me. That would mean that everyone else can do it and that would mean no money for these folks. And we know that they want to squeeze every penny they can outta us little folks. (no offense to anyone working at Cablevision)

I've known people to tap into others internet cables illegally and you can just youtube that and there will be people showing you how. But I don't think she wants to do time at her age. LOL (do you think she'll look good in stripes? LOL)

if you go back and look at the picture I included a couple of posts ago and follow that blue line on top of the computer. It says, AOL modem. That is for high speed/ethernet connection.

But I know you can do aol through dial up without a high speed modem.

I am not sure if I can explain anymore than I have already. LOL Maybe someone else with better knowledge can do a much better job than I have done. So good luck with everything.

I hope your neighbor appreciates all you've tried to do for her. We all should have caring neighbors like you. So give yourself a pat on the back!!

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/do_you_...ble_modem.html

"you're entering, the

zone..."

Last edited by who moi; 06-29-2008 at 09:40 PM.
who moi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote