View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Well, aren't we having an interesting topic here??

I felt really good all day. Nice and empty. Unfortunately I must have picked up a bug a few days ago. I'll never really know. I didn't feel "myself for a few days, and with the heat and humidity, it felt like strange things were on my arms and feet. I have diabetic neuropathy (which I control very nicely with the Methyl B-12), but when the weather is hot and humid, my feet sometimes burn.

Well two days ago, like I said, I was not "on my game" with my bowels or the rest of my body. Something was definitely up inside of "me".

Today, after I went to the bathroom, I went about my normal day, and at 1 p.m. took my sugar. It was 300. IT'S NEVER 300. Never!! I tested the machine, I used the solutions that they give you to test it. The machine was fine. I tested Alan, He was fine. So it was my body. I felt fine by the way. I had had my usual breakfast at Dunkin of a multigrain bagel with light cream cheese. I have had absolutely no problem eating this way for months. Sometimes I have an egg on an english muffin. That, and my cup of coffee, and I'm good for a long time. I do have to remember to drink my water.

I haven't seen a number like this in 3 years. My sugar is extremely controlled. But I have been told that this CAN happen when one is diabetic. I did figure out what might have been the culprit. I changed my dosage of Lantus recently from 22 to 18.

Guess what I didn't check? They gave me new syringes. These are not the BIG NUMBERS syringes. So I examined the syringe and I came to the conclusion I've been giving myself 16 and not 18. I could not believe this. There's a big difference between the two syringes. You have to count the lines in a certain way with the large numbered syringes. In the small numbered ones, each line is a unit. Not so with the larger ones. I should have realized this.

I did not eat anything today and I drank water all day long. It came down at 5 p.m. to 148. We shall see tomorrow morning what it is. I will also use a magnifying glass to check the syringe. I feel so stupid. I wish I had the pen thing but I get my stuff at Cornell and they supply me with everything.

I ate dinner at 5. I had fish, veggies, some Quinoa, and a small salad. And some water.

At 6 p.m. guess what kicked in again?? My oh My, never felt so good.

My a1c is 6.5 and the doctors were telling me that this is just as important as the occasional rise you get upon taking your blood sugar in the morning. And checking it two hours after eating dinner. When I began Cornell's Accord program, my a1c was over 9.

Now I don't know if 2 units less of the Lantus could do this. I really don't know. But I am determined to make sure what I put in that syringe from now on.

I actually went from 22 to 16. Good Lord.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote