View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 01:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile v2342

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorybee View Post
Hi - I've had ET since I was 17 (ages ago!) and blamed it on nerves. That continued until '98 when my husband was leafing through Mondern Maturity magazine, walked over to me and pointed out a cartoon figure of a man who's hand was shaking uncontrollably and gave a number to call along with the gist of the solution. I immediately contacted my physician and asked him to call Mayo Clinic in nearby Rochester. I underwent surgery June 10th of that month for a monolateral deep brain stimulator. It worked so well I'm now considering the bilateral.

I couldn't eat, write or hold a newspaper before and appearing in public was agony. After the surgery (and it's not nearly as bad as it sounds!) I've gained new confidence in myself and am enjoying a life to its fullest.

Look into it. You'll be glad you did!!
I am so happy for you! I have had ET for 6 years now. Have seen 4 neurologists, and all have diagnosed it as ET, however, the only med that helped was an antiparkinson one.It was somewhat controlled, but is now much worse. They say it is genetic, my grandmother, and two cousins. The current neurologist believes that antiseizure meds help and now my whole left side is shaking, I am at my wits end.
I was always an upfront social person, it has changed my life.
v2342 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote