View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 03:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default response to myasthenia gravis concern

Josie: I just logged on and read your note. I, too, was recently diagnosed with occular myasthenia gravis. I, also, was very frightened. After several dose changes, I am taking mestinon and prednisone (a steriod) and my vision returned to normal. Now at the stage of trying to maintain no symptoms with as little drugs as possible. Stress is your biggest enemy- try to minimize stress in your life (easier said than done!). Also, rest is of great benefit for this disease. You may perspire more than usual from the Mestinon but there are really very few side effects of this drug. Good Doctors who really understand this illness are hard to find-- try to local an expert in your area. (e.i. major health centers in larger cities). Your action plan will be try to prevent more serious symptoms; there are several courses of action. Don't be scared; you''ll be OK. Most people (over 90%) live pretty normal lives. Believe me--I have read a ton of info on the subject in the last 2 months!
Respond if you' like. GARY (by the way, I'm 61 yrs old and age does play a role in this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie S View Post
I don't really understand what is happening to my body. I have just been diagnosed (after many years) with Myasthenia Gravis. They just started me on Mestinon. Can anyone out there tell me what to expect. I am feeling the fear of it all right now and am very depressed!
Baldie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote