View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 01:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default More DM info

Hi Robert, good to hear from you and that you're doing ok with the DM. One question I had was how do you measure out your 5 mg dose of Simply Cough?
I also don't know how to determine if 28 mo's of 4.5 mg naltrexone daily, LDN, is keeping me from progressing except to continue with it and hope. I assume, I too am in the sinemet honeymoon. When I first started sinemet 24 mo's ago, the neuro had me at 3x 25/100 a day. Over a year ago, I have cut back to about 1x sinemet a day but I was also given 2x 0.25 Mirapex. Tremor was my main problem and that's gone. I would like to say I have not progressed because of LDN. I also take 200 mg of Q10, magnesium and am about to start Tumeric, all supplements that I've learned about on Braintalk.

Dr. Hong and his people at the NIH seem to have come across a class of drugs such as DM and naloxone that, used at very low doses, seem to slow or stop disease causing neuroinflamation. Their work is done with mice and they are able to quickly determine the effects of these drugs. The problem with PD is that the disease is variable so how would they do clinical trials on people? Even if these drugs are shown to really work, it will be years before they are released. The big drug companies would have to spend millions in research and trials on simple drugs that exist now with their patents expired. There's no money in it for them. That's why I am not waiting, DM and LDN are known and relativly safe with few side effects. Since DM cough syrrup is available over the counter, I thought if people are interested, I would post Dr. Hong's research on opioid recetptor atagonists and they could go from there.
Ashley

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Mechanistic studies indicated that the neuroprotective effect of DM is mediated through the inhibition of microglia over-activation (18) . In the course of attempting to determine DM’s action site, we realized that the inhibitory effect of DM on the production of superoxide mimicked the effect of dynorphins at femtomolar concentrations (19) . This comparison led us to study the neuroprotective effect of DM at femtomolar concentrations. In this paper, we report the extremely unusual and exciting finding that femtomolar concentrations of DM exert an effect as efficient as micromolar concentrations of DM in protecting dopaminergic neurons against LPS-induced damage. We have elucidated the underlying mechanism for this femtomolar acting compound’s neuroprotective effect. DM has been used clinically for decades with a proven safety record and it is a small molecule that can be administered orally, suggesting that DM is an ideal remedy for long-term usage for neurodegenerative diseases. In view of the lack of therapeutic agents that can halt the progression of PD, our findings may provide a novel therapy for these neurodegenerative diseases.

Last edited by Wittesea; 03-14-2007 at 09:12 AM. Reason: edited at members request
ashleyk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote