View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Pabloh,

Everyone gave great advice!

Can you tell me when you get your periods is the bleeding very thick and clotted.

You absolutely need to see a GYN, not a primary care doc.

They will offer you several options.

I have had heavy bleeding and cramping and it got so bad that the yuchy feeling and bloating almost lasted 3 of the four weeks of the month.

When you are getting your period you body produces prostaglandgins which give the cramps and the pain we feel when it comes to periods. NASIDS work the best on these prostaglangins but also borage oil helped me a little.

I was dx with endometriosis and had a lap done and it has relieved many symptoms. I still have a day of a heavy period but its much better

And Mrsd is right...the heavy bleeding can be a sign of estrogen dominance.

Estrogen dominance is pretty common these days given there are xeno estrogens and phytoestrogens in many foods we eat.

Estrogen dominance is related to thryoid dysfunction and insulsin resistance. Do you know if your triglycerides or cholesterol are high? Have you ever had a 2 hour insulin and glucose test.

I do have to say my endocrinologist was right. When I started to control my insulsin resistance and sugar my period problems decreased.

And MRsd is right about the iron deficiency. I was ctually iron anemic due to my menstrual bleeding and take a prescription iron supplement called repliva.

I also have hormonal migraines and get a migraine like clockwork twice a month...at ovulation when estrogen levels dip and by the second day of my period when estrogen dips. I take Fiorcet (which is an old medicine) for my migaines, its the only thing that works for me.

I was also on the pill for roughly 15 of the last 20 years from my 20's to my early 40's. There are many pills today that help the symptoms you are feeling and also the migraines (they have a lower dose estrogen only pill that during the week you get your period to help you avoid the migraine). And docs do say that its fine (unless there are other health issues) for you to have only 4 periods a year and they have pills that address that.

So I urge you to talk to your GYN. They can help you craft a plan.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote