View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 11:06 PM
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member

you almost got it. LOL

the internal modem is NOT a dial up modem. It is just a modem but let's not get confused over there. LOL But yes, it will be slower than a dsl.

as for youtube. You need high speed(broadband)of at least 500+kpbs to process their streaming media. But let's not even get there yet, your first priority is to set her up, correct?

I am sure she is scared to death yet excited at the same time. But tell her it is something fun, it is something that she CAN do once she gets the hang of it. She doesn't have to be scared of anything. Especially when you are there to help her.

As for getting to my level. Sheesh, don't let that be something to strive for. LOL I have not learned a lot of new things lately and the puter world have something new everyday. It would be hard for anyone to know everything there is to know about the puter world.

But what you are doing is the right thing. Asking questions and trying to learn.
They have said that it wasn't about Confuscious' teaching, but his ability to let his students think and ask questions that made his students wanting to study under him.

and I am helping with what I know only and there are always better and more knowledgeable folks than moi...knowledge is an endless thing and as you learn, I learn with you as well....it's all good...ya know??

Just today, I am learning about haptic technology...gosh, talk about being able to reach over the puter screen and "touch" someone...sheesh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
I think I understand a bit more.

If she gets the laptop, turns it on, brings up the AOL Software and creates an account and goes online, she's using the Laptop's internal modem?? And this is known as dial up and it's slower than dsl, right?? But she'll be able to get online, right? But she won't be able to view youtube vidoes or online live streaming stuff, right?? You need high speed for this, right??

But if she wants high speed, she'll have to get an external modem and plug THAT into her laptop, right? She needs to go through her cable company or whatever to do this right?

I am not sure even if she has cablevision. Many people on my block have Directv (I do), and some have Cablevision.

I never asked her. She lives right across the street from me. I think she's scared to death of getting a laptop.

This is so fascinating to learn.
I'll click on the links you gave me and I'll continue to learn.

I might be at your level some day!!! Wouldn't that be cool?? lol

Thanks so much.

Mel

"you're entering, the

zone..."
who moi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (07-01-2008)