View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 07:46 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

To the original poster:
you didn't give a whole lot of information, but, I am wondering what types of pain relieving medications you have tried. In your post you didn't mention any. A LOT of women usually feel some sort of degree and cramping and yuckiness and take motrin/advil for the first few days of their cycles---it can do wonders and take the edge off it so you aren't quite so uncomfortable. I usually always took advil for the first day or two to get me through the worst of it....

Also, you didn't go into how many days your cycle is, how often, etc etc so, its hard for anyone to really give you an idea of "normal" --especially when there are so many varying degrees of normal.

I also echo the other posters: you REALLY need to talk to someone about how you are feeling. Most likely your GP will send you to a GYN, but, in some case, a GP will or can do an exam to see if everything looks normal and give you some suggestions and common things to try-- at first; if you are very opposed to seeing a GYN. Please do not be embarrassed to talk to your GP about it--- they have dealt with all things that come with the human body and there is 99.9 % chance they have heard, seen, and had some degree of experience with female issues .

If possible, I would suggest you try to see a GYN too. They can sometimes help determine what is normal and what is not; if it looks like it may not--- they can do testing; and in any case, help figure out the best way to deal with it-- whether it be some sort of pain medication, birth control, etc.

Getting your hormones checked is also a very good idea-- simple blood tests and if it happends to be something is out of sync with them; it is usually fairly easy to fix.

I would not do something so drastic as doing things to make your cycle stop completely. Just because you are in your 20's and want a career and don't have a boyfriend right now; there can and probably will come a time in your life when you may be in a relationship and want to have a child. Nowdays, women are having babies into their mid to late 30's even. Who knows what the future may bring; BUT, if you do something so drastically and with out a medical reason (most doctors will not do any long term procedures on people so young anyway) and later on you decide you want a baby, then what ? (yes I know there is adoption..... )

As far as birth control, I was on BC for about 5 yrs. Never on Lybril, but there is a pill called Seasonique (sp ? ) that gives you a period only once every 3 or 4 months. Even with regular birth control pills, often times dr's will "ok" a woman to skip the last week of pills-- the placebo/non active (basically contain just fillers that have no effect on the preventing pregnancy--- just allows your body to have a period) pills from time to time. I did it from time to time, with my doctors permission....

You have so many options avaliable to you.

But, before you do anything, talk to a dr about what is going on-- let them figure out if what you are experiencing is in the normal range, or if more testing needs to be done. Hang in there and try not to worry too much !

L2L
love2laugh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote