View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I have GERD quite bad, and it's one reason I do not enjoy eating. If I eat within 2 - 3 hrs of laying down, even for a nap, I will not be able to sleep unless I take a few Gaviscon . . . or it will wake me till I take them.

"This can occur when the lower oesophageal sphincter (LES) does not close properly after eating, allowing stomach acids to leak back, or reflux, into the oesophagus.

The presence of digestive juices in the oesophagus cause burning sensations in the chest or throat called heartburn, or acid indigestion. Heartburn which occurs more than twice per week can be considered as Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).

In multiple sclerosis, this may be brought about by demyelisation, or lesion, of the medulla oblongata in the Vagus Nerve, or 10th Cranial Nerve."

http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk...al-reflux.html

"In multiple sclerosis, gastroesophageal reflux is often caused by a lesion in the medulla oblongata region of the brainstem where the 10th cranial nerve arises.

Gastroesophageal reflux is usually diagnosed from a history of signs and symptoms. A barium meal or pH probe can help to confirm a diagnosis."

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/gastro...ealreflux.html

GERD can occur for many reasons though, as Koala pointed out. It's is not a symptom which is indicative of MS in any way, but is sometimes attributed to MS once we have the dx.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
Shashi (07-02-2008)